Copyright© 1995, 1996 UC Regents/ModularCHEM Consortium.
RasMac v2.5-ucb1.3 is based on RasMol v2.5, Copyright© 1993, 1994 Roger Sayle
RasMac v2.6-ucb is based on RasMol v2.6, Copyright© 1995, 1996 Roger
Enhanced by the MultiCHEM Facility, University of California, Berkeley
What is Rasmol?
RasMol is an excellent and free molecular viewer
available for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX platforms.
How has MultiCHEM enhanced the program?
As well as some minor, yet very useful changes:
- Multiple Molecules: Up to five molecules can be viewed
in the same canvas window.
- Molecules Window: New window displays molecules currently
loaded, allows selection of active molecule.
- Toolbar: Commonly used commands are easily accessed from
a graphical toolbar.
- World Rotation: Individual molecules can be rotated about
their individual centers of gravity, or the entire world can be
rotated around the center of the screen.
- Bond Rotation: Part of a molecule can be rotated about a bond.
- Distance Command: Find distance between two atoms
- Angle Command: Find angle between 3 atoms
- Dihedral Angle Command: Find dihedral angle of 4 atoms
- Distance/Angle Labels: Distances, angles and dihedral
angles are labeled directly on the molecule.
These new features were added through ruthless hacking, but the
program is behaving pretty stably.
- Printing is always black on white to avoid having to print a black background
(changing of the background color through the command window will force the
specified color to print).
- Exact horizontal or vertical movements with the mouse result in molecule
- We are considering updating the code so it is compatible with System 9.
- Record and playback animations of molecules interacting without
the bloat of QuickTime movies.
- V2.6 has some problems with the stereo option
- Some script commands do not work with our enhanced versions.
- Not all file imput formats work properly with version 2.5
Downloading RasMol - All versions
All Mac files are in a self-extracting archive in BinHex format. You will need
a BinHex decoder configured as a "Helper Application" for your browser. PC
files are also self-extracting.
- Version 2.5 UCB enhanced
Click to download RasMac v2.5-ucb, version 1.3 RasMac-v2.5-ucb1.3.sea.hqx Mac only.
- Version 2.6 Beta - UCB enhanced
The new version of RasMol v2.6-ucb is now available for MAC, PC, and UNIX
- Version 2.5 - Original from Roger Sayle
If you would like to try the original RasMac v2.5, the original version is
Comments and bug reports to
Databases of Molecules
NIH MoleculesR Us - all the
proteins and nucleic acids you need
Database of drugs
Brookhaven Protein Data Bank
20 amino acids
organic molecules from Canada
Quick help screen
Other Rasmol sites
The Rasmol Home page-
A site dedicated to the popularization and distribution of RasMol, educational tools for use with RasMol,
and other free molecular visualization resources.
<< Go Back